Thursday, August 27, 2009

I feel bad for writing this

Furlong's is off our list. This has made me especially sad because the first time we ate there earlier in the year, I raved about it. The food was spicy and hot and flavorful and a general delight to eat. We visited a other times with diminishing quality each time.

And I'm afraid tonight was the night we said "no mas."

On a positive note, on Wednesdays they have half-priced wine by the bottle. Chef and I got a Trivento Malbec for $13 and it was lovely.

And everything else was downhill from there.

Service was a fifteen percenter--you know what I mean? I got the impression she was annoyed by me. Or maybe she was nervous. I can't tell. She never looked at my husband. She didn't engage in any conversation. She just seemed a bit sour, and I was left feeling like it was my fault somehow.

But the real clincher was the food. They have changed their menu a bit, and by doing so, it looks like they have gotten rid of many dishes and added hamburgers.

I got the Crawfish half and half (half crawfish etouffee and half fried crawfish bites). It was bland. Absolutely no flavor, no seasoning. It lacked salt. It lacked spice. It lacked personality. I covered everything in hot sauce and salt and cleaned my plate (because I'd had half a cup of dried fruit for lunch and I probably would have eaten kibble at that point). The dish came with a side of sweet potato fries which were cut so tiny that they were difficult to eat, although they were tasty.

Oh, and they now up charge for a salad. Previously the salad had been included in the meal.

Chef got the shrimp creole with a side of jambalaya and tasso green beans. He echoed my complaints--no flavor. He didn't finish half of his plate.

We had previously eaten beignets at Furlongs, which were to DIE for, but this meal had put us in such a bad mood that we didn't want to stay there any longer than necessary.

Off the list. We won't be back.

I feel like I've been negative about food this past week. Can anyone recommend a fabulous place for dinner tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment