Friday, August 28, 2009

Much better

After a big letdown at Furlong's, the Chef and I had an absolutely delightful dinner at Heirloom last night. Midway is an adorable little town, and I love any excuse to get there. Heirloom is a bit on the pricey side (OK WAY on the pricey side), but if you want to have a little treat with your honey it might be worth the splurge.

Usually if I'm going to make the trek out to Midway I can't pass up Holly Hill Inn--my absolute favorite place to eat in the state of Kentucky. But we decided to expand our horizons.

The wine list was absurdly expensive. Let's get that out of the way.

Salads are a la carte. We split a spinach salad that was $11. I am not a pepper fan, but these were marinated and tender and sweet. Plus it was loaded with bacon and goat cheese. What's not to love about that.

My entree was chile roasted tiger prawns ($28--eek). It was spicy and full of flavor. The shrimp was a little overdone for my preference. Where the dish really shone was the rice cake side and the scrumptious flavorful sauces.

Chef had the duck, which he said was outstanding. It was prepared tender without being the slightest bit overcooked or underdone. It came with an egg roll side that he said was complimentary, though not as show stopping as the duck itself.

Chef also had a molten lava cake (with Guinness creme anglaise) for dessert. I might have snatched an itty bitty bite. It might have been heaven in my mouth. Just sayin'.

I'd give it four stars out of five. Service was very friendly yet unobtrusive, and he appeared when needed. Try it. But save your pennies first.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds sooooo good.
    I wonder if chefs start to get scared when
    you come in the door. hahaha.
    You need a badge!!

    ReplyDelete